In my Entrepreneurial Design class at SVA, our final project was to launch a campaign on Kickstarter. The campaign could be for any idea we wanted to tackle or potentially bring to life. I partnered up with a previous teammate, Liz decided to continue developing a game we had created for another class.
The game is called, Defuse It, and the goal of the game is – defuse a bomb by successfully decoding 7 levels of instructions within the time limit. Check out our Kickstarter campaign for more on Defuse It.
How our 2 weeks went Our funding goal for our 2-week Kickstarter campaign was $7000. This would be enough for us to further develop Defuse It and produce ~50 games.
FIRST WEEK STATS In our first week we raised a little under $500 and had 22 backers. We were happy with the amount of backers, however, most came from our immediate network.
TWO WEEK STATS
In our two weeks, you can see our campaign started to pick up more traction and gain much higher pledges per backer. Towards the end of the campaign is when we say more people outside of our network to pledge. We think this may be because we were getting more followers of our project and they were being notified of the campaign ending.
Ultimately we didn’t hit our $7K goal, but we were proud of the $2K we did hit.
26% of the backers is outside of our network. Most of our pledges came from those within our personal and professional networks. One fun fact we were surprised by is those who pledged to purchase a game, more than half were people we didn’t know.
During our campaign, we created a new Instagram account and primarily used posts and stories to drive visibility. We created daily posts leading up to the campaign and for the first week after. We even tried to interact with our network by creating a story allowing people to tag friends who fit into certain superlatives.
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL NETWORKS We reached out to a lot of our friends and used our personal Instagram accounts. We also used our professional networks, reaching out to those who have advised us and those within our SVA network.
When I start looking back, I realized I truly learned a lot along the way. It requires so much research and preparation before launching. We practiced a lot of social media marketing. We worked on strategizing how to market our story and the game itself. It was a big wake up call on how much work it takes to produce a hardware game (regulations, materials, manufacturing) and the overall process – prototype, test, prototype, test, test, test. We learned that to outsource the manufacturing of the game, we would need to create a highly detailed spec, which we did not have. So if we had to do the Kickstarter campaign again, I think we would focus more on raising funding just to iterate the game and the physical hardware to create a detailed spec.
It was also fascinating to find that people we don’t know left us messages and liked our product. I guess that’s also what keeps moving us forward to keep updating and push this until the end.
During this period of the pandemic, what we missed the most is the companion and human connection, and I am so glad that I’m launching this campaign with my talented friend Liz. It was challenging to walk out of our comfort zones, but the experience is so rewarding. After this time, I believe we will definitely be more prepared for the next one.